Style Neo-Renaissance / Ref.03166
The side table coming from an exceptional furniture set realized by Moses Michelangelo Guggenheim for the Palazzo Papadopoli in Venice, Italy
Width: 59'' ⅞ 152cm
Height: 37'' ¾ 96cm
Depth: 24'' ¾ 63cm
Between 1874 and 1881.
Salone delle Quattro Porte, Palazzo Papadopoli, Venice, Italy.
Sculpted walnut wood and Levanto Rosso marble.
In excellent condition.
This superb side table identically replicates the lower part of the cabinet forming a credenza coming from the same set.
The base consists of a background decorated with three rectangular molded panels. Their framing is composed of several moldings in relief, one which supports the display of a decorative vegetative frieze: stylized flowers, composed of two leaves and a flowering stem, coming to rest there. The shelf rests on two armored and winged lions carved in encrusted enamel. Their massive limbs are as impressive as their mouths. They are the result of an exceptional work of sculpture, rarely equaled. Each surface is the pretext for an abundance of carvings and ornaments. The quality of the sculpture is particularly noticeable in the representation of hairs and scales that cover their chests and extremely muscular necklines. One can thus observe each feather forming the wing, with the representation of the spine as the central stem of the feather. Each whisker of the plumage is visible, proving once again the delicacy of the sculpture. Similarly, the hairs are delicately represented, almost akin to the work of chiseling.
The lions rest on a shelf fully supported by very large ball feet carved with a frieze of ovals. The rounded edge of the shelf is protruding and is again the support of the sculpted frieze. Plant motifs are enrolled in medallions and corners are occupied by acanthus leaves. The edge of the upper shelf is made in the same manner. However, it is only slightly curved and the carved frieze that unfolds is a series of interlacing.
The Palazzo Papadopoli is a Venetian palace built by Giovanni Giacomo de 'Grigi (active from 1540 to 1575), around 1560.
The palace passed from hand to hand before being purchased on January 25, 1864 by two brothers, Nicolo and Angelo- Papadopoli Aldobrandini. Thus began the last phase of splendor of the palace which was considerably enlarged and whose surroundings were redecorated entirely from 1874-1875. This undertaking was led by the architect Girolamo Levi and by the decorator and antique dealer Michelangelo Guggenheim. This exceptional sculpted side table is part of a somptuous furniture set realized for the Salone delle Quattro Porte of this Venetian palace.
This set of 14 pieces of furniture coming from the Palazzo Papadopoli will be sold as one set.
Price: on request
Recommended for you :