Style Neo-Renaissance / Ref.13001
Pair of Renaissance style vases in patinated bronze from the Mouchy-le-Châtel castle, second half of the 19th century
Height: 30'' ¾ 78cm
Diameter: 16'' ⅞ 43cm
This pair of patinated bronze vases were made during the second half of the 19th century to decorate a door on the facade of the Mouchy-le-Châtel Castle, in the Parisian region.
This castle was built in the 16th century by the Maricourt Family, then it was taken during the second half of the 18th century by the first dukes de Noailles, before being occupied by the dukes of Mouchy, younger branch of the Noailles family. It's the dukes of Mouchy that started the work of restoration and extension during the Second Empire, entrusted to the architect Hyppolite Destailleur (1822 – 1893), to whom we also owe the restoration of Courances and Vaux le Vicomte castles. Helped by the sculptor and drawer Michel Lienard (1810 – 1870) and sculptor Mathurin Moreau (1822 – 1912), the three of theme redefined the castle Mouchy-le-Châtel keeping the Renaissance decorative repertoire of the first castle.
Our pair of bronze vases is an example of the reinterpretation of the shapes inspired by the Renaissance. Put on a flaring fluted foot, they're adorned on the belly with four lion's heads in relief. The lid and the long neck are decorated with friezes of acanthus leaves and flowers. The long neck is joined to the belly by two handles in a S shape of which the scrolls are occupied by flowers. Our two vases were made during one the different restoration's phases of the castle during the second half of the 19th century to adorn the door of one of the castle's facades as show the archive picture.
Recommended for you :