The Mauméjean stained glass dynasty of Masters
After a dormant century with mediocre productions and the closing of stained glass firms everywhere, the renewed interest for religion and Medieval culture in the 19th century brought about a revival of an art that could have become extinct - and this as early as 1850, with the work of a few masters like Chevenard and Alaux.
Jules Pierre Mauméjean, from Pau the first of the line opened a glass and mosaic workshop in 1867.His three sons, Joseph, Henri and Charles continued and developed the firm. The workshops were in the town of Hendaye, and the central offices in Paris, on rue Bezout.
The Mauméjean company participated in all the great exhibitions in France and abroad earning many awards and praise notably at the World’s fairs. Their work is found in churches and buildings classified as historical landmarks, although many were destroyed because of the war or urban restructuring.