Style Louis XV / Ref.14535
Eugène BAUDIN (att. to), Pair of sandstone vases set in a gilded bronze frame
Width: 9'' ½ 24cm
Height: 18'' ⅛ 46cm
Depth: 6'' ¾ 17cm
This pair of Louis XV style sandstone balustrade vases bears a gilded bronze outline, inspired by the rocaille style. Four feet support the asymmetrical and precarious base of each vase. The vase’s paunch is enhanced with gadroons and is crowned with a narrow neck. The rim of the neck is also gilded in bronze. The sandstone is covered predominantly in a purple glaze, bringing focus to the deep green shade also found on the vase. It is the use of the different shades of colours, against the clean surface, that makes the work of Eugène Baudin so subtly radiant. A technique highly influenced by the work of the Massier and Vallauris manufacturers.
Eugène Baudin, was a ceramicist, born on the 29th August 1853 in Vierzon and died on the 11th April 1918 in Gragnes-sur-Aube. Son of a porcelain producer, Eugène Baudin first started as an operator in Mr Bazille’s factory in Vierzon before becoming a modeller in Charenton. He emigrated to England in 1871 and became a modeller in Stoke-on-Trent and in Lambeth. His already acquired knowledge of the job allowed him to quickly master his work. Eugène Baudin returned to France in 1881 and opened a pottery workshop in Vierzon. In 1889, he displayed his work at the Universal exhibition in Paris, under the name of his brother Ernest, future director of the national manufacturing company. The outstanding forms and glazes used in his work attracted a lot of attention at the exhibition. After this exhibition, le Musée National des Arts et Métiers in Paris came into possession of several of his works of art. Based on his clear success, he decided to open a workshop in Paris. In 1897, he opened a pottery workshop in Saint-Briac. In 1906, with privileges of the Prince, he founded the pottery workshop at Monaco, and left his adopted son, Paul Baudin, to run his pottery workshop at Saint-Briac. Paul Baudin also took on running the Monaco workshop after Eugène Baudin died, and kept it open until 1925.
Recommended for you :