Style Other / Ref.12955
CRISTALLERIE DE CLICHY (attributed to)Large ruby crystal coupe, mounted in gilt bronze, circa 1878
Width: 19'' ¾ 50cm
Height: 22'' 56cm
Depth: 15'' 38cm
The production of this great coupe made out of ruby crystal, set on a gilt bronze base, is attributed to the Cristallerie de Clichy (1842-1895). According to the richness of its composition, it is most certain it was produced around 1878, in order to be displayed at the Parisian World’s Fair. It presents, indeed, a true insight on the French luxury industry of the second half of the 19th century.
Our crystal coupe, of a deep ruby colour, shows a remarkable setting made out of gilt bronze and refering to the rocaille ornamentation, very trendy during the 1860-1880 decades. The coupe is put on a round base adorned with interlacings of acanthus leaves and flower garlands. This pattern of the acanthus leaf is repeted all allong the coupe’s foot, then on its walls, becoming more and more luxuriant and showing an astonishing quality of execution. On the foot are also sculptures of charming, sitting putti, holding in their hands, a pitcher for the first one, and a book for the second. The delicacy of the chiselling as well as the excellency demonstrated in the putti’s faces show that only a great bronzemaker could have done them. Finally, the coupe supports in its center, surrounded by a reed crown made out of gilt bronze, another crystal piece which shape, thin and elegant, evokes a concolvulus’s corolla, characteristical of the Cristallerie’s production.
Created in 1844, the crystal glass-making factory of Clichy-la-Garenne established herself as the most important French manufacture for coloured glass at the beginning of the Second Empire. Indeed, Clichy does master intense colours such as emerald-green, or ruby red, their quality and purity being exalted by the intentional absence of decoration. A beautiful example of ornamental vases, also out of ruby red crystal and set with gilt bronze, was exhibited on the crystal glass-making factory’s booth at the 1878 World’s Fair of Paris. Nowadays, only one piece of the pair have been kept and can be seen at the Musée d’Orsay.
Price: on request
Recommended for you :