Heiress of the great merchant-mercers of the eighteenth century, Escalier de Cristal was a famous company during the Restoration. It was undoubtedly created in 1808 by Widow Barthelemy Desarnaud, at 162 and 163 Valois Road. In 1829, the company was taken over by Boin, tailor, moved to 152-153, Galerie de Valois, then in 1840, by Pierre-Isidore Lahoche. In 1852, the latter joined with his son-in-law, Emile-Augstin Pannier to create the company Lahoche and Pannier that became "Pannier, Lahoche and Co". in 1863, when Isidore Lahoche retired from business.
In 1872, the store was transferred to the new Opera, at 6 Scribe Road and to 1 Auber road. From 1885, it was directed by Georges and Henri, sons of Emile Pannier : the Pannier Brothers Company was thus created. Merchant-editor, the Escalier de Cristal produced small furniture and luxury objects, often of Far-Eastern style like the table that we have presented here. For the realization of its models, Escalier de Cristal most often called upon Parisian artists specializing in a specific technical field.